Established Forever!

Established Forever!

I don't long to be ruled by a king.

In my social studies class in high school, I was never drawn to the idea of a monarchy or an empire. I considered such forms of government to be oppressive, impractical, and impersonal.

My first year of college brought me into close contact with people much different than I...different skin color, different social rules, different spiritual journeys. The only constant preference that drew us together was the fervent belief in democracy, in representative government, in collaboration and the right of the individual.

I became a Christian during that first year of college. It was an inexplicable change of heart and mind that I often wonder at even today. The foundational truths of this new faith were to be found in The Holy Bible, which often referred to God as "King of kings, Lord of lords."

"I charge you in the presence of God...he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion." (1 Timothy 6:13-16 ESV)

I believe this, mentally, but I have little emotional connection to the concept of having a King. I've never experienced life as a subject of a monarch. I've seen examples from afar, examples of miserably ineffective and abusive kings...kings far removed from the people over whom they ruled...kings who used power and force as we may use toilet paper and plastic credit cards.

Our passages this week connect the earthly reign of David as king over Israel, with the universally everlasting reign of Jesus Christ as King over all nations and all generations.

How does knowing God as King affect your daily life? How can 20th century, democratic North Americans living in a republic connect with God as King?

God appointed David to reign over his people. Every incident and circumstance worked together to bring David to the throne.

God promised that the house of David would last forever. The eternal reign over God's people would be held by a descendent of David.

No enemy will triumph over the reign of David's eternal descendent.

No place on earth, no nation of people, will not be under the rule of David's eternal descendent.

Jesus, born of Mary, Jesus Christ the Son of the Most High, is that descendent. Of his kingdom there will be no end.

Jesus our King is merciful to those who fear him. He is strong. He scatters the proud and brings down the mighty. He exalts those who are low, and he fills the hungry with good things.

Like it or not...understand it or not...emotionally desire it or not...Jesus is and forever will be our Most High King, King of kings and Lord of lords.

The sooner we like it, the sooner we understand it, and the sooner we emotionally desire it, the better. As Mary responded, so should we:

"Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word."

Our texts for this week, the Third Sunday of Advent, December 24, 2017:

  • 2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16
  • Psalm 89:1-4, 19-26
  • Romans 16:25-27
  • Luke 1:26-38, 46-55

Scriptures are taken from the English Standard Version of The Holy Bible. Readings by Milt Reynolds.


2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16

Now when the king lived in his house and the LORD had given him rest from all his surrounding enemies, the king said to Nathan the prophet, "See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells in a tent."

And Nathan said to the king, "Go, do all that is in your heart, for the LORD is with you."

But that same night the word of the LORD came to Nathan, "Go and tell my servant David, 'Thus says the LORD: Would you build me a house to dwell in? I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent for my dwelling.

'In all places where I have moved with all the people of Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying, "Why have you not built me a house of cedar?"

'Now, therefore, thus you shall say to my servant David, 'Thus says the LORD of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince over my people Israel. And I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth.

'And I will appoint a place for my people Israel and will plant them, so that they may dwell in their own place and be disturbed no more. And violent men shall afflict them no more, as formerly, from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel. And I will give you rest from all your enemies.

'Moreover, the LORD declares to you that the LORD will make you a house...And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever.'"

Psalm 89:1-4, 19-26

I will sing of the steadfast love of the LORD, forever; with my mouth I will make known your faithfulness to all generations. For I said, "Steadfast love will be built up forever; in the heavens you will establish your faithfulness."

You have said, "I have made a covenant with my chosen one; I have sworn to David my servant: 'I will establish your offspring forever, and build your throne for all generations.'"

Selah...

Of old you spoke in a vision to your godly one, and said:

"I have granted help to one who is mighty;

I have exalted one chosen from the people.

I have found David, my servant; with my holy oil I have anointed him, so that my hand shall be established with him; my arm also shall strengthen him.

The enemy shall not outwit him; the wicked shall not humble him.

I will crush his foes before him and strike down those who hate him. My faithfulness and my steadfast love shall be with him, and in my name shall his horn be exalted.

I will set his hand on the sea and his right hand on the rivers. He shall cry to me, 'You are my Father, my God, and the Rock of my salvation.'

Romans 16:25-27

Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages but has now been disclosed and through the prophetic writings has been made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith - to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ!

Amen.

Luke 1:26-38, 46-55

In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. And the virgin's name was Mary.

And he came to her and said, "Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!"

But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be. And the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end."

And Mary said to the angel, "How will this be, since I am a virgin?"

And the angel answered her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy - the Son of God.

"And behold, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son, and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren. For nothing will be impossible with God."

And Mary said, "Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word."

And the angel departed from her...

And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.

"And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his offspring forever."


Thanks!

LifeWay Christian Resources / WORDsearch Basic, free Bible study software / https://www.wordsearchbible.com/basic

English Standard Version, 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers, 2011 edition

Peteris / "Christ the Redeemer statue" / https://flic.kr/p/6goBcr / CC BY 2.0 / https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plausible Arguments

Isaiah 5: The Parable of the Vineyard

Isaiah 18, Part One: Paper Boats and Whirring Wings