Temptation | A Brief Word Study | A Prayer | James 1:12-16

Temptation | A Brief Word Study | A Prayer | James 1:12-16

(Notation in parentheses refers to Strong's Greek Dictionary)

James 1:12-16 (KJV)

Blessed (G3107 - supremely blest, fortunate, well off, joyful, rewarded, happier) is the man that endures (G5278 - to stay under or behind, remain, undergo, bear trials, have fortitude, persevere, abide, endure, take patiently, suffer, tarry behind) temptation (G3986 - trials, testing, putting to proof by experiment, experience of evil, solicitation, discipline or provocation, adversity): for when he is tried (G1384 - approved, tested, acceptable) he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to them that love him.

Let no man say when he is tempted (G3985 - tested, tried, trapped, endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline), "I am tempted (G3985 - tested, tried, trapped, endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline) of God": for God cannot be tempted (G551 - tempted, tried, temptable) with evil, neither tempts he (G3985 - tested, tried, trapped, endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline) any man.

But every man is tempted (G3985 - tested, tried, trapped, endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline), when he is drawn away (G1828 - dragged forth, enticed) of his own lust (G1939 - desires, passions, coveting, craving, a longing), and enticed (G1185 - seduced, entrapped, deluded). Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, brings forth death. Do not err (G4105 - be deceived, led astray, fooled, wandered off, roamed away*) my beloved brethren.

Blessed - James describes two circumstances in which a person may experience the meaning of this word:

  • Successful endurance in the midst of trials (1:12)
  • Intentional perseverance in knowing and living according to "the word of truth (1:18), the perfect law that gives freedom" (1:25)

Lust - James describes four contexts of the meaning of this word:

  • Ignorance (1:14)
  • Flesh (2:11)
  • Opposed to God's will (4:2)
  • Evil, unrestrained drunkenness and idolatry (4:3)

Err - James connects the meaning of this word directly to "straying away from the truth" (5:19)

A Prayer

Lord, I long to have my heart feel joyful and happy. Your word promises happiness when I persevere patiently through adversity. You have promised that love for you brings us through every trouble, and on the other side awaits a glorious life with you.

But there is a part of my heart and mind that doubts your goodness and faithfulness. I feel at times that you are against me, that you are attempting to discourage and disprove me. Speak to my heart, Lord! Teach me to trust you. Reveal to me the evil seduction with which my own flesh entices and entraps me, drawing me away from patiently trusting in your goodness and faithfulness.

Spirit of God, be in me and be with me and be around me! Do not allow my flesh to deceive me into wandering away from the truth of your promise to me: a forever life of happiness to them that love you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plausible Arguments

Isaiah 5: The Parable of the Vineyard

Isaiah 18, Part One: Paper Boats and Whirring Wings