Psalm 119:57-64 | Heth

Psalm 119:57-64 | Heth

Milt Reynolds | Last updated: January 9, 2022


The LORD is my portion; I promise to keep your words. I entreat your favor with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise. When I think on my ways, I turn my feet to your testimonies; I hasten and do not delay to keep your commandments. Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me, I do not forget your law. At midnight I rise to praise you, because of your righteous rules. I am a companion of all who fear you, of those who keep your precepts. The earth, O LORD, is full of your steadfast love; teach me your statutes! - (Psalm 119:57–64, ESV)


My Portion

PORTION: KHAY-lek, smoothness of the tongue, an allotment - from khaw-LAK, to be smooth, to apportion or separate using smooth stones as lots

We neglect or negate God's Word, eagerly pursuing "portions" of different things, all poor substitutes for God's "smooth" and rich word. We seek for esteem from others, security in property and wealth, distraction, domination, and self-worth.

Perhaps I do not inherit a house, land or property Perhaps I fail to win esteem, riches or domination.

My portion is God's Word.


Which Path for Today?

Following Christ means keeping his words, depending upon his promise of favor and grace.

Each morning I rise and stand at the hub of many paths for my day. What does it mean to "think on my ways"? does it mean to sort through and consider all my options, through all my desires and dismays that could dtermine "my way"? Does it mean to consider how I arrived at today's circumstances, what desires and decisions have led me to this point?

THINK: /khaw-SHAB/ to plait or weave, to fabricate, to plot or contrive, to think or regard or value or compute

WAYS: /DEH-rek/ a road (as trodden), a course of life, a mode of action

The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD.

(Proverbs 16:1, ESV)

I consider the days of old, the years long ago.

(Psalm 77:5, ESV)

As I read God's word, how should today's path be different than yesterday's?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plausible Arguments

Isaiah 5: The Parable of the Vineyard

Isaiah 18, Part One: Paper Boats and Whirring Wings