Psalm 119:81-88 | Kaph

Psalm 119:81-88 | Kaph

Milt Reynolds | Last updated: January 17, 2022


“My soul longs for your salvation; I hope in your word. My eyes long for your promise; I ask, “When will you comfort me?” For I have become like a wineskin in the smoke, yet I have not forgotten your statutes. How long must your servant endure? When will you judge those who persecute me? The insolent have dug pitfalls for me; they do not live according to your law. All your commandments are sure; they persecute me with falsehood; help me! They have almost made an end of me on earth, but I have not forsaken your precepts. In your steadfast love give me life, that I may keep the testimonies of your mouth. - (Psalm 119:81–88, ESV)


Framed By Faith

There are many sentiments expressed in Kaph which do not match what I feel on most days. I am typically too dull of mind and heart, too young in age, too broken with misplaced desires and fears.

But today, this stanza of Pslam 119 does resonate with me. I do long for salvation. I do long for God to comfort me fully and forever more. I do feel like a wineskin in smoke, shriveled in soul, dry of feeling, cracked and fragile.

Kaph blames persecutors, insolent snare-layers, scornful of God's Word, liars and destroyers. I perhaps could name some people that could be considered persecutors, but only the names that are published in current news and opinion pages. I can name no one whom I know personally who is persecuting me directly.

But the name "Persecutor" fits well the devil, the ancient foe of God's Word, the Persecutor who delights to trip and trap and tease and titlate and tattle and tempt my sin-broken heart, mind and body.

"Has God promised you salvation?" the Persecutor whispers. "What evidence of truth or goodness have you ever seen of God?", the Persecutor drips.

Like Kaph, I ask of God, "When?". And I realize that my question is framed by faith. To ask of God "when?" is an expression of great longing for that which only God can give: salvation, comfort, and restoration.


Grow Your Word In Me!

How I long to be finally and fully made right in body, mind and heart. When will I find comfort in youth, strength, desire and circumstance? When will temptation and frustration and thought-wrestling cease? Grow in my your word!


What does Kaph hope for in salvation?

SALVATION: tesh-oo-AW, rescue of a person, a nation or a spirit - from shaw-VAH, to be free, used as a cry for freedom from some trouble - from yaw-SHAH, to be open or wide or free, to be safe, to cause to be free or to succor

The spefic hope of Kaph is for freedom from persecution, from the insolent, from deadly traps, from libel and slander, from near dath.

I cannot identify any person or party who persecutes me. But I do feel pressed down by trouble which limits me: fatigue, havey head, apathy, discomfort.

As Kaph endured through persecutiion, what was most important? Hope-filled longing for God's Word.

HOPE: yaw-CHAL, to waith, to be patient, to hope

  • Seeking comfort from God's Word
  • Remembering God's Word
  • Depending upon God's Word and love
  • Keeping God's Word

KEEP: shaw-MAR, to hedge about (as with thorns), to protect or attend to

God, hedge my heart, mind and body through what you have declared!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plausible Arguments

Isaiah 5: The Parable of the Vineyard

Isaiah 18, Part One: Paper Boats and Whirring Wings