Psalm 119:129-136 | Pe

Psalm 119:129-136 | Pe

Milt Reynolds | Last updated: May 17, 2022


Your testimonies are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them. The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple. I open my mouth and pant, because I long for your commandments. Turn to me and be gracious to me, as is your way with those who love your name. Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me. Redeem me from man’s oppression, that I may keep your precepts. Make your face shine upon your servant, and teach me your statutes. My eyes shed streams of tears, because people do not keep your law. - Psalm 119:129–136, ESV


Keeping God's Word

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

How does Pe "keep" God's testimonies? What is "keep"?

KEEP: naw-TSAR - to guard, protect, maintain, obey, conceal

In circumstances and conditions that are complex and conflicted, God's Word gives understanding

Pe "pants" for God's Word. What is "pants"?

PANTS: to gasp (as a woman in labor of birth), to "snuff up" (as a wild animal smells the wind), to be eager for, to inhale eagerly, to covet, to be angry, to hasten

Pe depends upon God's promise of "steady steps".

STEADY: koon - to be erect, to set up, establish, fix, prepare, apply, appoint, render sure, prosper, prosperous

The ESV Bible translates the word as "strengthen", "secure" and "establish":

“O LORD, you hear the desire of the afflicted; you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear” (Psalm 10:17, ESV)

“He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.” (Psalm 40:2, ESV)

“‘I will establish your offspring forever, and build your throne for all generations.’ ” Selah” (Psalm 89:4, ESV)

Psalm 119 connects "steady" with God's "promise":

“Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me.” (Psalm 119:133, ESV)

I tend to view "promise" narrowly, as a statement regarding what will happen, a good thing in the future that is under the control of the one making the promise.

Is that a helpful view of the word "promise"?

PROMISE: im-RAW - to say, speak, answer, or something said

According to this definition of the Hebrew word, "promise" includes anything spoken!

Perhaps the English word "promise" is not a helpful translation of this Hebrew word? Here are definitions of "promise" taken from an English dictionary:

  • A declaration that one will do, or not do, something
  • A reason to expect something
  • A pledge to do or provide

Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary - “Promise.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/promise. Accessed 25 May. 2022.

"Promise" comes from "promittere":

  • "pro" (forth)
  • "mittere" (to send)

All of God's Word, The Holy Bible, can rightly be described as a promise of God. All that God has said and done, as rcoreded in The Holy Bible, can be trustedd as grounds for expectation of what is has happened, what is happening now, and what will happen. God's Word can guard and guide every step of every day, giving me grounds to expect that no step is wasted, no step taken in vain or in wickedness.

God guarantees his goodness, power and authority through every earthly experience, no matter how it may appear to our weak, broken eyes. Confident trust in all that God has said and done in his "Book of Promise" gives us confident expectation that our steps will not be wasted, our life not ultimately unsteady, and our circumstances not ultimately wicked.


We Keep What Is Wonderful

Image by Lorraine Cormier from Pixabay - https://pixabay.com/images/id-2770301/

We keep what to us is wonderful. Our soul is the repository of all we desire. The soul of Pe found the Word of God to be wonderful. How can it be that I prefer novels of fiction and fantasy, manuals of how-to and why, biography and hearsay and news? These are not wicked in whole...there is much that glitters as helpful and formative. But the words of God are wonderful, and my soul ought to keep them!

Lord, give this simple mind understanding and steadiness and feedom from the oppression of sin and human distortion and depravity.

Teach me your words, and dry my tears.


Steady My Steps

How does my soul wonder at, and keep, God's Word?

  • There are parts which resonate with how I am feeling at the moment
  • God's Word promises something greater than human survival and conquest
  • God's Word has one great theme: God is Greatest in all things

God is greatest in all things! Greatest Fear, greatest Love, greatest Help.

Unfold your words and light my understanding, Lord. Turn to me and be gracious. Steady my steps, defend me against iniquity's dominion.

INIQUITY: AW-ven, nothingness, trouble, vanity, wickeness, and idol - from a word meaning to pant, to exert in vain, to come to naught.

A great paradox: the danger of allowing "emptiness" to dominate!

Emptiness of iniquity makes life unsteady, unable to stand up, unable to rely upon the ways and means which surround.

Keep steady my steps in your Word, O God!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plausible Arguments

Isaiah 5: The Parable of the Vineyard

Isaiah 18, Part One: Paper Boats and Whirring Wings