Psalm 5

Psalm 5

Milt Reynolds | Last updated: June 4, 2022


TO THE CHOIRMASTER: FOR THE FLUTES. A PSALM OF DAVID.

Give ear to my words, O LORD; consider my groaning. Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you do I pray. O LORD, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch. For you are not a God who delights in wickedness; evil may not dwell with you. The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers. You destroy those who speak lies; the LORD abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man. But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love, will enter your house. I will bow down toward your holy temple in the fear of you. Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies; make your way straight before me. For there is no truth in their mouth; their inmost self is destruction; their throat is an open grave; they flatter with their tongue. Make them bear their guilt, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; because of the abundance of their transgressions cast them out, for they have rebelled against you. But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you. For you bless the righteous, O LORD; you cover him with favor as with a shield. - Psalm 5:1-12, ESV


Open the Door!

Photo by Daniel Gregoire on unsplash.com

O LORD, consider the groaning of my heart and mind...on Jesus alone I must load all my weakness and brokenness and rebellious perverseness...in Jesus alone can I claim to have a Sacrifice that satisfies our holy God. I cannot stand before you, LORD, in any other Way.

As if today were the Door to your house, I long to enter in and feel your love, to be overwhelmed by your purity and strength and authority and power.

Today, LORD, make each circumstance and condition a direct connection to you, to your Word and Work in, through and around me.

Take captive every thought and desire and habit that rebels against you. Spread your protection over me, LORD! Shield me with favor and joy!


Shield Me, O LORD!

Shield me, O LORD! Be my refuge in the midst of wicked arrogance, violent liars and rebellious schemes. Shield me with protection...shield me with your favor.

SHIELD: /tsin-NAW/, a hook (as pointed), a large shield (as if guarding by prickliness), cold (as if piercing) - from /tsane/, to be prickly, a thorn, a cactus

FAVOR: /raw-TSONE/, delight, expressed delight - from /raw-TSAW/, to be pleased with, to satisfy a debt.

God surrounds those with whom he is pleased, as if surrounding them with a "prickly" shield.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plausible Arguments

Isaiah 5: The Parable of the Vineyard

Isaiah 18, Part One: Paper Boats and Whirring Wings