An Uncomfortable Resonation | Matthew 7:22

An Uncomfortable Resonation | Matthew 7:22

Milt Reynolds | July 10, 2022


Photo by Nick Fewings on unsplash.com - https://unsplash.com/photos/ka7REB1AJl4

On that day many will say to me, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?" - Matthew 7:22, ESV

I think that I mostly operate day-to-day with a "heart of works". This article by John Piper resonates uncomfortably with me:

Proud Works vs. Humble Faith - John Piper, Desiring God

Especially during this season of my life, in the circumstances that we are in this week, and probably the next. When I see how little is our progress compared to the long checklist of things to do and resolve, I feel discouraged. When I wake up with little desire to take even the next steps I feel discouraged.

Piper's distinction between the self-glorifying "heart of works" and the God-glorifying "heart of faith" is helpful. But it's difficult to describe a "heart of faith" in tangible, practical terms.

Perhaps it's best described in the context of weakness and discouragment and apathy. Perhaps my day should begin not with "What do I feel willing and able to tackle today?", but with "What must God change in me, and provide for me today in order to glorify himself for his capability and strength and wisdom and grace?"

Perhaps a "heart of faith" is best matured in circumstances of weakness and poverty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plausible Arguments

Isaiah 5: The Parable of the Vineyard

Isaiah 18, Part One: Paper Boats and Whirring Wings