Psalm 119:113-120 | Samekh

Psalm 119:113-120 | Samekh

Milt Reynolds | Last updated: July 15, 2022


I hate the double-minded, but I love your law. You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word. Depart from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commandments of my God. Uphold me according to your promise, that I may live, and let me not be put to shame in my hope! Hold me up, that I may be safe and have regard for your statutes continually! You spurn all who go astray from your statutes, for their cunning is in vain. All the wicked of the earth you discard like dross, therefore I love your testimonies. My flesh trembles for fear of you, and I am afraid of your judgments. - Psalm 119:113–120, ESV


Pushing Away, Yet Loved Anyway

Photo by Philbo on unsplash.com

I hate my double-mindedness, and I long to love your Word, God.

At times you are my hiding place and my shield, protecting me from anger and fear and selfishness -- at times I push away from you, hopelessly dark and alone -- Oh! that evil would leave me alone to hope in you, God!

Uphold me as you've promised, that I may live -- let me not be put to shame! Hold me up that I may be safe -- that I may remember and revere your Word always!

How can you stand me when I ignore your Word, when I think myself so highly? Why have you not discarded me like scum?

Teach me to love your Word, to tremble in fear of ignoring your Word, to observe carefully your judement.


Double-minded

What is "double-minded"?

DOUBLE-MINDED: Limping between two different opinions: follow God or follow Baal (1 Kings 18)

  • Unstable in all ways (James 1)
  • Unclean, sinful and impure (James 4)
  • Divided in mind...a skeptic (Strong's Dictionary)

Dis-branched and Fissured

DOUBLE-MINDED: say-AFE, divided in mind, a skeptic - from saw-AF, to divide up, to disbranch a tree - related to saw-EEF, a fissure of rocks, a bough divided

One who is double-minded:

  • Does not love the Law of God
  • Does not hope in the Word of God
  • Inclines to evil
  • Hinders others from obeying God
  • Trusts in their own cunning
  • Regard God as inconsequential and unimortant and small
  • Unconcerned about God's judgement

O God! You spurn and discard all who are double-minded. Teach me to hate my double-mindedness. Teach me to love your Word.


Lord, I hate my double-mindedness...you are often not my hiding place and my shild. Form my heart to fear you, to be afraid of your judgements!


Oten I feel double-minded...I like and do not like something. I like and do not like others. I appear different than I feel.

Is this being "double-minded"?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plausible Arguments

Isaiah 5: The Parable of the Vineyard

Isaiah 18, Part One: Paper Boats and Whirring Wings