Psalm 119:97-104 | Mem

Psalm 119:97-104 | Mem

Milt Reynolds | Last updated: July 13, 2022


Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts. I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word. I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. - Psalm 119:97–105, ESV


Lovingly Walking In God's Word

Photo by Frank Busch on unsplash.com

Wisdom is not natural, at least not now, in our sin-riddled existence on earth. Wisdom is not to be expected merely through age, experience, talent, money, fame, comfort or even hardship. There is no direct cause-and-effect between wisdom and anything we may experience, or gain, or refuse, here on earth.

Except God's Word.

The only thing that grows wisdom is God's Word...his written law, commandment, testimonies, precepts, and rules. To be reminded of God's Word in every changing moment, in every circumstance and conditon...this is the beginning of wisdom...the beginning of knowing the best word or way in any given circumstance and condition.

Education alone cannot impart wisdom, nor can age. Yet neither memorization and reading and recitation of God's Word are sufficient in gaining wisdom. Wisdom is able to use these things as means and ways, but to be wise fundamentally requires love...love of God's Word...love that motivates one to meditate upon God's Word often and daily, moment by moment, in confrontations with enemies as well as routine appointments and habits of daily life.

God's Word, and love for God's Word, are two essential pillars of wisdom. The third is quite practical and observable: walking in God's Word.

One may love to think about and read about God's Word. One may lovingly compose songs and commentary about God's Word. Yet one thing is lacking: walking through life daily in ways that conform to all that God's Word teaches.

While lovingly meditating and understanding and memorizing and savoring God's Word, one must also act upon God's Word: holding back from every evil way, resolutely refraining from turning aside from all that God's Word wisely teaches, and courageously hating every false way.

Oh, God my Father, in the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ my Brother and Savior and Lord, form my heart and mind and body to lovingly meditate and walk in your Word!


Meditation and Understanding

What desires and affections spring from love for God's Word?

  • Meditation all day
  • Wisdom in conflict
  • Learning to understand
  • Avoiding every evil way
  • Hatred for everything false

What is "meditation"? What is "understanding"?

MEDITATION: see-KHAW, reflection, devotion - from SEE-akh, contemplation, an utterance - to ponder, to converse aloud with oneself, to utter

UNDERSTANDING: saw-KAL, circumspect, intelligent

Lord, as I read your Word, help me through your Spirit to converse aloud, understanindg what you say, understanding what I ought to desire, and what I must avoid.


All Day Long

All day long? How can a person meditate all day long? Set an alarm for evry hour? Every five minutes? How can a person avoid distractions unexpected quesitons, mergencies, spills and surprises?

Mem suggests one way: recognize, remember and reflect upon my enemies. What is attacking me now, this moment? What seeks to distract, dismember or detract from what I love? What demands me to desire foolish, or harmful things? What is tempting me to learn a lie? What long-held habits or traditions are opposed to loving trust in God's Word? where am I going, now, as I walk or drive? What am I going there? Am I alert and aware of ways that are false?

Lord! I am so easily swayed! Let your Word be ever with me.


Train My Heart

Train my heart and mind to meditate and obey your word in love, delight and hatred of every wrong path.


My Daily Medicine?

I cannot imagine being able to make God's Word my meditation all day long...I am pulled in myriad directions hourly, moment by moment. It is NOT "ever with me"...my understanding of God's Word feels so shallow.

Right now God's Word tastes like my daily medications...bland and yet essential, important and yet mediocre in taste and appeal.

Lord, renew my heart and mind today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plausible Arguments

Isaiah 5: The Parable of the Vineyard

Isaiah 18, Part One: Paper Boats and Whirring Wings