Psalm 54

Psalm 54

Milt Reynolds | Last updated: July 28, 2022

Photo by Timon Studler on unsplash.com

TO THE CHOIRMASTER: WITH STRINGED INSTRUMENTS. A MASKIL OF DAVID, WHEN THE ZIPHITES WENT AND TOLD SAUL, “IS NOT DAVID HIDING AMONG US?

O God, save me by your name, and vindicate me by your might. O God, hear my prayer; give ear to the words of my mouth. For strangers have risen against me; ruthless men seek my life; they do not set God before themselves.

Selah

Behold, God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life. He will return the evil to my enemies; in your faithfulness put an end to them. With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to you; I will give thanks to your name, O LORD, for it is good. For he has delivered me from every trouble, and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies. - Psalm 54:1–7, ESV


My Enemies

O God, why does David not pray for his enemies? Why does David not frame the rising of insolent strangers as a circumstance under your control and direction? David is right in calling to you, and to you alone, for rescue and vindication. You are the Upholder of all life. Are you not the Upholder also of our enemies?

As you did with Saul of Tarsus, are you working in, through and around my friends and my enemies, for your glory and our good...for ultimate triumph over death, disease and depravity?

Did not Jesus say to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute you? It is easy to pray for friends, because they love me in return. But Jesus commands us to do the hard thing: love our enemies and pray for them.

O God, save us, vindicate us, help us, uphold our lives and put an end to my enemies by transforming their hearts, as you are transforming my heart.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plausible Arguments

Isaiah 5: The Parable of the Vineyard

Isaiah 18, Part One: Paper Boats and Whirring Wings