Psalm 57

Psalm 57

Milt Reynolds | Last updated: October 2, 2022


Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by. I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me. He will send from heaven and save me; he will put to shame him who tramples on me. Selah God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness! My soul is in the midst of lions; I lie down amid fiery beasts— the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth! They set a net for my steps; my soul was bowed down. They dug a pit in my way, but they have fallen into it themselves. Selah My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody! Awake, my glory! Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn! I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth! - Psalm 57:1–11, ESV


My Soul Takes Refuge | August 21, 2022

Photo by Cristian Palmer on unsplash.com

"My soul takes refuge..."

Why does David specify "my soul"?

  • His soul is in the midst of lions
  • His soul was bowed down

SOUL: NEH-fesh, a breathing creature, an animal or vitality - used literally or figuratively, bodily or mentally - from naw-FASH, to breathe, to be breathed upon, refreshed

This word has been translated in many ways: life, person, mnd, heart, creature, body, will, desire, appetite, and more! The two most frequently translations are "soul" and "life".

The English word "soul" means the immaterial essence or cause of an individual life, the qualtiy of morality and emotions.

"Soul" is that which gives life to a body. An interesting example is that of a ship or airplane having a total count of people on board: "number of souls". On a ship in distress there may be many people: passengers, crew, infants, and even dead. But the word "souls" counts only the living people who need rescue. - https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q/2887/65595

So, how does this help to understand David's use of "soul"?

I see David's use of "soul" as a reference to all that animates and gives him life. David is using figurative language to describe the threat of injury and loss that he faces, not necessarily to his body, danger nonetheless:

  • "Storms of destruction"
  • "Him who tramples on me"
  • "I lie down amid fiery beasts"
  • "Children of men...teeth are spears and sharp swords"
  • "A net for my steps"
  • "My soul was bowed down"
  • "They dug a pit in my way"

None of these descriptions are intended to be taken literally. David is not in bodily danger. The treat he faces is much mor ominous and destructive: his morality, hope, confidence, faith, desire, joy, purpose, intentions, emotions and intelligence are all at stake. Davi's soul is in desperate need of mercy, refuge, rescue and protection.

O God! Restore to me life that only you can give!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plausible Arguments

Isaiah 5: The Parable of the Vineyard

Isaiah 18, Part One: Paper Boats and Whirring Wings